- The migrate option is grayed out on a powered-off virtual machine in vSphere Client.
- You cannot migrate a powered-off virtual machine.
- In the vSphere Client, when you click the Migrate option in the Summary tab for a virtual machine, you see the error:
Call "VirtualMachine.Relocate" for object "Virtual Machine-NAME" on vCenter Server "vCenter-Name" failed
- The virtual machine does not show as orphaned in vCenter Server.
To resolve this issue, remove the virtual machine from the vCenter Server Inventory and add it back.To remove the virtual machine and add it back to the Inventory :
Caution: Before performing these steps, make a note of the datastore that the virtual machine resides on.
- In the vSphere Client, right-click the powered-off virtual machine and click Remove from Inventory.
- Click Yes when prompted to confirm the removal.
- Click Home > Inventory > Datastores and Datastore Clusters.
- Click the Datastores and Datastore Clusters tab.
- Right-click the datastore and click Browse Datastore.
- Double-click the virtual machine which was previously removed from the Inventory.
- Right-click the
.vmxfile and click Add to Inventory.
- Follow the steps in the Add to Inventory wizard to add the virtual machine back to the Inventory.
- Click Home > Inventory > Hosts and Clusters.
- Right-click the virtual machine. The migrate option is now available.